Saturday, June 04, 2005

School's Out!

Well, I taught my first class today. I actually wasn't expecting anyone as no one signed up. I settled in and starting working on a shop sample to pass the time. All of a sudden this very nice lady comes in and apologizes for being late. Oooooh! a student! So, I got to spend the next couple of hours teaching someone how to knit the MD Scarf. It was nice to be able to focus on one person. She's 75 and has been knitting for a while, but nothing really advanced, and thought thought this would be a good chance to expand her skills. I was really nervous earlier in the week. I had a dream in which I was completely unprepared for the class. I wasn't expecting anyone and a dozen people showed up for the class! Some where good knitters and others were pretty clueless so I was being pulled in all different directions and the LYSOs were very negative about the whole experience. At least I wasn't naked. As a result of this little nighttime warning, I had lots of copies of the pattern (in page protectors!) with me this morning and a partially worked up sample for demonstration purposes. I think it went well and I hope the student does, too. I gave her my contact information in case she gets stuck on the last triangle. I learned that I need to practice the trickier parts closer to the date of the class so I can look more polished. I didn't feel very professional having to puzzle out the final triangle in front of her. Now I know better. Very little to report on the knitting front. Sursa has really turned into a bitch of a project. I finished the last increase row and was all set to bind off when I dawned on me that at the end of the third ball of Cash Iroha, that there would not be enough to bind off. Almost all of that third ball was used in the last increase row! Even single stranded there was no way there would be enough to bind off. So I picked it back (again!), dealt with another freakin' denise cable connector popping loose, bought the 40" cable, dealt with another popped connector and finally got it all back on the needle to start binding off. It just burns knowing that I'm going to have about 2/3 skein of (very soft, but still very) ORANGE yarn leftover. I'm hoping it will work with some other Silk Garden leftover I have to make a hat. Come to think of it, the SG is a similar shade and might just go with Sursa. hmmmmm.... I'll need to play and see. Maybe the hat could have a matching ruffle? Then again, I think I've had it with ruffles for a while. The Mystery Stole Along started - finally! I was really looking forward to starting yesterday when the first clue turned up. I decided that I don't like how the CTH possum lace looked in the sample swatch, so I decided to order some of the merino lace from handpainted yarn. I am hoping that the new yarn will show off the lace better than the CTH. The CTH can either be sold off or used in a Flower Basket Shawl. It's what I had in mind for it before the Mystery Stole project called me. With the FBS, I am on the 7th repeat, but with MIL around I wasn't able to concentrate enough to do more than a line or two. In the meantime, DH has clearly told me he does not want me to make socks for him. He's such a Florida boy. I have some magic stripes leftover from a Devan I made last year, so I might make some socks for the boys for this Fall. (Yes, I have that severe mental illness that makes me dress the boys alike or at least coordinating as much as possible.) Just to really show DH how sick I am, I just might make him a matching pair. Since I made them, he'll have to wear them, right?

3 Comments:

At 6/05/2005 07:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you recieve any packages in the past week ?

 
At 6/06/2005 09:58:00 AM, Blogger stephanie said...

Not yet. But of course, now that you've said something, it will show up today. It's like being at a restaurant and waiting forever to get your food. The minute you get up to use the restroom, your food arrives.

 
At 6/06/2005 10:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it take your mail take time to get to you? I know that my sister in lae in N.C. the mail takes forever to get there. Because I sent your package out before memorial day I think that friday. you should have gotten it already. I hope it does come today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

hit counters
Zappos Coupons