Friday, July 01, 2005

Five things I miss about childhood

Thanks to Mare for my first MeMe. I'm glad this is a short one b/c it's actually really hard; I don't think too much about my childhood. Snow Days. In 1978 or '79 DC got hit by a huge blizzard. We're talking 3 feet of snow. Nearly 2 whole weeks out of school. Nothing can beat that. If we'd still been in Boston, there might have been a one hour delay. Nowadays a snowday means a day lost from work and stuck at home with 2 kids who don't much like being cooped up. Thank goodness for Noggin. Guilt Free Reading. Lately I've been obliged to read books like: George Shrinks, Bull in a China Shop and Kitten's First Full Moon. Reading is now a guilty pleasure that consists of news, blogs, knitting books, Harry Potter, and trashy novels. Visits with Grandmother and Granddaddy. Those visits were the few times in my childhood when I knew I was around people who loved me unconditionally. No strings attached. My grades or school behavior were just not part of the equation. They loved me and made sure I knew it - even if it made the other cousins a little jealous. Maybe I should call this "Being the Favorite Grandchild." Christmas. Well, it's not so much Christmas that I miss, but that sense of joyful anticipation. (ah, cynicism, the plague of gen x'ers.) We almost always went to Grandmother and Granddaddy's for Christmas. I've seen pictures but don't remeber the one or two where we stayed home. Just about all of Daddy's brothers and sisters would come with their families on Christmas Eve for dinner and we would open presents between the familes that night - AFTER everyone ate peanuts. (I have no idea where the peanut tradition came from, but to this day I don't like roasted peanuts.) Waiting through all that was torture, b/c you couldn't have just one or two peanuts. No, all the adults had to have a handful at least. And they had to be shelled. I remember being so excited on Chrismas Eve that I couldn't fall asleep - though now that I think about it, that could have been due to the large quantity of "co-cola" consumed. Then, on Christmas morning we weren't allowed in the living room until the grown ups had their breakfast. Believe me, they took their time about it! I haven't celebrated Christmas for many years, but those early mornings where I was the only one up and sneaking into the living room to see what Santa brought are some of my most treasured memories. Up until a few years ago, I would still lie awake at night on Christmas Eve - wide awake for no apparent reason. Saturday Morning Cartoons and only needing to read the funny pages. hmmmm.... who to tag. Laurie, Amanda, C (my secret pal - not that I'll see it till the swap is over. grrr) and Moze. It's up to you if you want to play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

hit counters
Zappos Coupons