Sunday, July 24, 2005

just a quickie... not much knitting

I've had tons of family in town so I haven't had much time to knit. I made a little progress on Her Fugliness, though. I hope to start balls 7 and 8 in a day or two. As far as family in town goes, it's my parents, my sister's family that are staying with me. 10 people in my house. Thank goodness for the finished basement. We put Stinkerton Adjunct in our room to free up a bedroom, as well. Man! He's one noisy sleeper. Yesterday, I had the local aunts and uncles come over for BBQ - ribs, chicken, baked beans and the like. mmmm mmmm good. A big surprise was my aunt and uncle flying in from Oklahoma just for the BBQ. Very cool. I don't think I'd seen this particular aunt in about 10 years and had never met her husband before. It was a great visit and I got to hear more stories about my grandparents and great-grandparents. I have got to get those stories recorded. Saw War of the Worlds today. Extremely well done, except for the hokey ending. It was a good movie given we all know how it ends. The graphics were terrific and Dakota Fanning is amazingly talented. It's the first movie I've seen her in and I'm really impressed. ----------------- Interesting articles I've come across recently: National Review Canadian Jewish News This link was too long to post as is. Go here. http://www.naomiragen.com/Columns/Et%20Tu%20Oprah.htm ---------------- I received a comment from Anonymous the other day in reference to my Non-Knitterly Angry Rant. If you re-read my post you will see that I do not state that Iraq was linked to the 9/11 attrocities, nor did I state that the 9/11 commission did so. There are a couple of chapters in the 9/11 commission report that discuss the issue of Iraq and its links with terrorism. Also, those chapters show the links between Iraq and various terrorist groups, including al qaeda. I believe the report is available on-line. (I lent out my copy, so I can't quote the pages for you.) As far as people having sympathy for terrorists and what causes them to turn to terrorism, they're out there. I happen to know of, and personally know a number of people who think that terrorism is the result of western, specifically American, foreign policies in the middle east. They believe that it is poverty and hopelessness, not hatred, that drives these people. They believe that if we try to understand the situation and open a dialogue with the perpetrators we can convince them to stop. Do some hunting on line; you'll come across people who believe this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

hit counters
Zappos Coupons