Saturday, December 10, 2005

copyright and a special event

I was going to do a little thing on copyright, but Stinkerton Progenitor covered it all in his article. It will be in the winter VK, and if I do say so myself, it looks pretty good. We (He) received the galley (sp?) pages last week and the layout and illustrations are pretty nice. So keep an eye out for it in the next few weeks. I learned one new thing. Using (as in scanning or copying and pasting) pictures from a magazine or pattern booklet on one's blog is infringing copyright. (The owner of the copyright has the ultimate right to display. Pictures of one's own knitted item, even if the pattern is copyrighted, do not infringe.) That means I am violating copyright with every link I have to my sister site that consists of a picture lifted from the yarn company or designer's website. I'm torn about what to do. I feel that I'm promoting the knitted item/pattern, but on the other hand, I really should be following the law. If the pattern companies (magazines and other) were to keep their links up indefinitely, this would be an easy solution - just link to the picture, but it's not reasonable to expect every site to be able to support that much data. Until I decide what to do, I'm leaving my pics up, but will refrain from inserting copyrighted pics as much as possible. I'm almost finished with Stinkerton Adjunct's top down cardigan. I just need to figure out whether or not I really want to do a zipper (and how to do one) and whether or not I want to add a hood. I'm fairly sure about the zipper; not so sure about the hood. A hood would make blending the zipper and V-neckline easier. I've received a commission (that's just a pretentious way of saying a friend has asked me to knit a scarf for them). I've chosen a black eyelash yarn with a filler by moda dea (I don't have the label handy to tell you the name - will do later) and some Lion Brand ribbon yarn that is their version of Plymouth's Eros Extreme. The eyelash is black and the ribbon is black and white. I'm going to knit from side to side and leave ribbon fringe hanging off the ends and I may switch needle sizes for the different gauges. I finally replaced my missing needle tips from my Denise set and I have the correct length cables to comfortably work the ruffle. (Friggin' things better not pop this time.) One of the gals from Knit Night used seed stitch instead of the ruffle and it looked really good. She used more of a brown toned silk garden with an orange (not quite the same orange as I'm using). It was gorgeous. I think I like the ruffle, though. I have decided that Sursa will go to the Progenitor's Great Aunt Georgie. The first person on his paternal side of the family (other than the Grandprogenitor) who truly made me feel welcome and a lovely lady who inspired me to learn to knit. She's had a minor stroke, and for that and other reasons, may not be able to move back to her home and live independently. She lives too far away to visit easily and I want her to have something bright and cheerful. She's 85 and was still teaching school (in NYC, no less!) when all this happened to her. Not much else to report. I started a sock for Stinkton Prime, but I think it's going to be too big and I need to rip it. The other option is to leave them as is and make fingerless mitts out of it, but I think I'd rather do that with the Knit Picks sock yarn Miss C. sent me. (BTW, Miss C. I have your package just about ready and it should go out by the end of the week. I need to wrap it.) Oh, and it's Stinkerton Prime's birthday today. He's 4. It almost breaks my heart that my little baby is so grown up, but on the other hand he's becoming more and more independent and that's one of the rewarding things about parenting. Parenting is definitely the most frustrating job, but the rewards are all worth it. Take care everyone. I'm off to celebrate a birthday.

3 Comments:

At 12/10/2005 12:58:00 PM, Blogger fickleknitter said...

I'm glad you pointed out that copying and pasting or scanning in photos were copy right infringement, I had no idea. It's kind of a bummer because I have a number of vintage magazines that have some fantastic patterns, I was previously posting a picture from the magazine while I was knitting the particular patterns. I think it does take away from promoting patterns, but if that is the rule I will respect it.

 
At 12/11/2005 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Charisse said...

Hi Steph.
Mee too I have it ready to go. I have to get to the post office tomorrow/ tuesday.
I cant wiat till you open it.
Have a great week.

 
At 12/12/2005 11:15:00 AM, Blogger amanda said...

4 yo? I can't imagine how I'll feel when my little baby turns 4. But independence is a grand thing---enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

hit counters
Zappos Coupons