Saturday, July 29, 2006

Flip Floppin'

And no, I'm not talking about a certain senator from Massachusetts. I'm talking about these ever so casual shoes. Those wonderul minimalist sandals that are meant to protect the sole of the foot from hot sand or pavement. The String Bikini for the foot. When I was at the office a couple of weeks ago (and again this week), I noticed a lot of people wearing flip flop sandals or shoes (and I use that term loosely) that were pretty much only a sole and a couple of strings to keep it on the foot. Am I the only person who finds this to be totally inappropriate in a professional setting? If one wouldn't wear a dress that only covers 10% of the body to the office, why wear a shoe that only covers 10% of the foot? It's not like the people you work with want to see your funky, ugly toes. I mean really, if your foot isn't at least 45% covered (and slacks can play a part in the coverage), then the shoe should stay at home. It's one thing to wear a slingy-thongy shoe/sandal to a party, even a relatively formal one, if the shoe is dressy enough for the outfit, but flip flops? Oh, and speaking of toes, if the toes or heels are hanging off the shoe... the shoe doesn't freakin' fit! Just get over the fact that you have size 9 feet and quit buying size 7 shoes - I don't care how cute they are or what a good bargain they are. Trust me, stupid is always more noticeable than cute. Another thing, we humans no longer have to claw our way up trees to avoid predators. Clip your toe nails to a normal length - and by normal I don't mean match the excessively long, can't-dial-a-phone-without-using-a-pencil fingernails. If you can't wear your closed toe shoes because your toenails add two sizes, then cut your freakin' nails. That being said, I will freely admit to being pretty conservative when it comes to clothes - notwithstanding my orange argyle sneakers. The swatching for teh corset in the PLymouth Bamboo hasn't worked out. While lovely, the yarn has no memory - like silk. So once washed, the yarn is flat, but with a lovely drape. Back to the drawing board. I'm considering the purple Rowan Calmer I have - I really want to make this in purple Sebasiancat has had the run of the house while Troublecat has been locked up. one incident of spraying on the shelves. That's it. I am starting to think that they just can't live together.

4 Comments:

At 8/03/2006 02:29:00 PM, Blogger jenifleur said...

I just read a news article somewhere and I can't find it-but it was saying the same thing. Flip-flops are inappropriate office wear. They make people look unprofessional and as if they'd rather be at the beach. That said, I LIVE in my flip-flops at home.

And I've always thought that you should have to pass some kind of minimum foot hygiene/attractiveness test before you get a license to purchase sandals of any kind.

 
At 8/03/2006 03:19:00 PM, Blogger amanda said...

I'm with you. Flip flops are fine at home or at the beach, even at the gym (especially in the locker room) but at the office? And speaking of weirdly long toe nails...I saw a lady the other day and her toenails were sculptured though thankfully not as long as her dragon lady claws. So gross!

 
At 8/05/2006 08:39:00 AM, Blogger zibibbo said...

Eww - agreed! Last thing you really want to see on the job are the feet of your officemates!

 
At 8/08/2006 10:56:00 AM, Blogger anunmaker said...

Amen sister!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

hit counters
Zappos Coupons